Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Last harvest of the year

This fall I did a fall planting of some leafy vegetables. It went out a bit late, but since we had an unusually warm winter, I was able to harvest a little bit before our first freeze. Just before the first freeze I covered the bed with some nylon fabric draped over stakes and pinned to the fence I have for keeping out rabbits. It may be the most redneck looking rowcover/season extender I've ever seen, but it did its job and then some. Yesterday, just before line of bad weather blew in, I went out to check if anything was still growing. This is what I cut.

I have a mix of lettuce, arugula, spinach and chard. My cheap improvised nylon cover worked through an eight inch snowfall, an ice storm and several nights of temperatures in the teens.

Incidentally, this is the bad weather that blew in yesterday.
My plants may still be alive out there, but I sure don't want to go out and see!

No comments: